God-Shaped Hole - Tiffanie DeBartolo

It seems fitting to start this review with a quote by the unique, phenomenal,beautiful artist that inspired this story - Jeff Buckley. The words he used to express the way he felt about his music also describe what I search when I'm reading a book or listening to music and the way 'God-Shaped Hole' by Tiffanie DeBartolo makes me feel.

"Sometimes the most consequential moments in my life originate from a state of completely witless human autopilot."

It's a crave for something real that leads Beatrice 'Trixie' Jordan to Jacob Grace, a writer, a dreamer, someone who changes her life forever.

"...I caught sight of his eyes. (...) I sensed in them a splash of irony, too; a proud acceptance of the fact that life can be a bitch sometimes, that some people feel things to deeply. I always felt like that myself, that I didn't marry into the landscape of the human world like others did, that I was on the outside looking in. (...) I'd never seen that look on another face before, had never identified it in another person...."

So, they meet...

"What do you say we mark this day - the day we met - by buying each other a record?"

And I have to say, once more that with all the sublime music references, 'God-Shaped Hole' should have its own soundtrack, on that note, that's one of the things that I love about Tiffanie DeBartolo stories - the way she pours her passion/reverence for music into her characters:

“It was just another fucked-up love song, but Jacob turned it into the truth. His truth. Jacob was the only person I’d ever met, besides myself, who believed music was a cosmic language that spoke directly to our souls – to ease our pain, and to remind us we weren’t alone.” “A good song can save your life, Trixie. Don’t ever forget it.”

Trixie and Jacob fall in love...

...and these are all the details you are getting for me, I don't want to give anything away - Jacob and Trixie's journey is to be experienced.

'God-Shaped Hole' is genuine, meaningful, honest and real. An experience that hits you ‘deep in the gut’ and that in the end might leave a scar, it is a story that deserves to be read and shared. It made me think, laugh, cry. It made me feel.

“(…) there was a beauty in his tears that moved me more than I could ever explain with words – a beauty in the honesty of his sadness, in the grace of its purity. It was the holy water raining down from the clouds in his eyes. Falling to the sand then being carried back to the source from which it came- his blessed sea.”

Tiffanie Debartolo is an incredibly talented artist, the feeling I get when I start reading one of her books is the same feeling Trixie gets after reading Jacob's personal ad: “Where the fuck have you been all my life?”, her words are powerful so I have to say thank you for this incredible story.

I believe in the possibility of everything