Temporary Bliss (Bliss, #1) - B.J. Harvey
Temporary Bliss is the first book of the 'Bliss' series by B.J. Harvey and this is 'Makenna Lewis' story: Young, naïve and in love, Makenna, once gave up everything to be with a guy and soon became trapped in an abusive relationship. After a traumatic event, she escaped that situation but not without being deeply affected by it.I need to reclaim myself, my identity, my freaking backbone that I used to be known for.And she did it. Four years later, Makenna(Mac) is living in Chicago, she's a nurse and she's strong, independent, confident,blunt, sassy, she knows what she wants and she's not afraid to get it. I make a vow to myself; never again will my life be dictated by a man, and never again will I let love lead me astrayAfter everything she went through in that past relationship, Makenna vowed to never fall in love again so she keeps her relationships with men on a strictly physical level. And 'men', plural, is correct, because this girl has three friends-with-benefits:I’ve been single and happy for the past four years; happily sexed up and fulfilled for the past eighteen months with three of the most accommodating and laid back guys I’ve ever met. What’s to complain about?But one night when she's getting home from work, a chance encounter on the 'L' train, puts this "no complaints" arrangement to the test...That's because she meets Daniel Winters and the chemistry between them is undeniable. They agree to go on a date and Makenna is challenged by her best friend Kate to take a different approach with Daniel, starting with a 'three dates rule. I look around the waterfront and gasp at its beauty. “It doesn’t matter how many times I see it, it always takes my breath away.” I’m unable to tear my eyes away from the shimmering lights cascading across the rippling water of Lake Michigan.” “Some could say the same about you, Mac,” he whispers into my ear as he stands close behind me. Date, after date and with some scorching hot moments in between...